Founded as “Tainan District School for Higher Education” in 1931, and later renamed “National Cheng Kung University" (NCKU) in 1971, this comprehensive university earns its reputation as the cradle for future generations of professionals in various fields of study. The Medical College and its affiliated hospital were approved by the Executive Yuan in 1981, and opened its doors in 1984, led by Dr. Kun-Yen Huang. During the first ten years (1984-1994), Department of Medicine only accepted postgraduate students. However, students were not as diversified as expected and the program was terminated in 1994. Since then, we have only recruited post-high school students leading to a seven-year medical education course. The passing rate on the National Board has gone up significantly, and we are continuing our educational reform to meet the needs of society.